Grants and Loans for Adult Learners

Finding the money to fund your studies

If you are planning to return to education and you have done your research you will know that there is a wide choice of subjects available
to you; many are free but many of them are going to cost, especially if you are going to study at university. Although it may seem daunting at first, remember that other single parents have done it and at the end of the process you are going to be happy in a job of your dreams or pursuing a hobby that you love.

Don't know where to look for funding or how to find out about free courses? Read on for some useful resources...

If you are planning to return to University check out,  which provides a range of online information and tools including;

  • ‘Jargon buster' to provide clear information about student support.
  • Tips on preparing for higher education, including time management, childcare options and study skills.
  • Case studies from students already balancing higher education with parenthood.

Going back into further education can be an expensive business, here is a list of grants and loans that single parents can access:

Grants and bursaries for adult learners - Adult learners can apply for grants and bursaries to help pay for courses and training. Usually, you don’t have to pay this money back.

Help with childcare costs if you are over 20 years old - If you're aged 20 or over a parent, there are a number of sources that could help with childcare costs while you’re learning.

Help with childcare costs if you are under 20 years old - If you’re under 20 and have one or more children, you may be able to receive help with the cost of your childcare while you're learning. 

24+ Advanced Learning Loans - to help with the costs of a college or training course if you’re 24 or older.

Professional and Career Development Loans - A Professional and Career Development Loan could help you pay for vocational or work-related learning. It's a deferred repayment bank loan which allows you to borrow between £300 and £10,000.

Student finance, loans and universities - Access to student finance and additional helpful resources

Turn2us - A charitable service which helps people access the money available to them – through welfare benefits, grants and other help.

Remember you can always contact your learning provider too, to see what financial or other support they can offer you.

Related articles:

For information on claiming benefits whilst receiving financial support to study contact the One Space Debt & Benefit Expert

Or if you would like to talk to other single parents about this subject visit our 'Work and Training' discussion forum