Types of court orders about children


The court order (or orders) you’ll need to apply for depends on what arrangements for your children you can’t agree on.

Contact Orders

Contact Orders make the person who the child lives with allow contact with someone else. For example, if your child lives with you and you can’t agree arrangements for your ex-partner to see your child/ren, then they can apply for a Contact Order.

Residence Orders

Residence Orders decide where and with whom a child will live. If you can’t agree this with your ex partner, you can apply for a Residence Order.

Specific Issue Orders

These orders make instructions on a specific point about your child that you can’t agree on. For example, if you can’t agree where your child should go to school, you or your ex partner can apply for a Specific Issue Order.

Prohibited Steps Orders

These orders mean that someone is not allowed, without the court’s permission, to do the thing set out in the order. For example, you may not want your ex partner to take your child overseas. You can apply for a Prohibited Steps Order if you are worried about this.

Parental Responsibility Orders

These orders give someone all the rights, duties and responsibilities as a parent. A mother automatically has parental responsibility and doesn’t need to apply for it.

For more information see Parental Responsibility.

If you have a question about any of these orders please contact our Legal Expert.

Information provided by DirectGov.