Income Support

cc_The Hills are Alive@flickr single parents on income supportIncome support is a non-contributory benefit which is means tested.  You can make a claim if you are:

  • Under 60
  • Have a low income
  • Don’t have to be available for work

There are other criteria, for example:

  • You must be in one of the categories of people who can claim Income Support
  • You are not in full time work
  • You are caring for a child aged under 5 years of age. For more information see the article Welfare Reform
  • You are aged 16 or over.  But most 16 and 17 year olds are not entitled (seek advice about this)
  • You are aged under 60
  • You must not be receiving ESA (Employment & Support Allowance)
  • Usually, you are not subject to immigration control.  (Seek advice about this)
  • You must be habitually resident in the UK, Channel Islands, Republic of Ireland or the Isle of Man (this is a specialist area and you need to seek advice about this)
  • You must have income and capital below a certain amount
  • Usually, you must not be a student


As a single parent, you will have a compulsory interview at the Job Centre with a personal adviser as a condition of entitlement.

For further information contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Jobcentre.

If you would like some personal information contact our 1-2-1 confidential email service regarding benefits, money and debt.


  • "Personally I find the info from sites like this far more helpful. So thanks again for all your hard work in keeping us properly informed!"